What are the differences between the Japan Rail Pass and the Hokkaido Rail Pass?
- Area of Use
The Japan Rail Pass features free rides on JR lines and JR buses (excluding some routes) throughout Japan.
The Hokkaido Rail Pass features free rides on JR lines(does not include Hokkaido Shinkansen) and JR Hokkaido buses (excluding some routes) throughout Hokkaido.
- Where to Buy
- For the Japan Rail Pass, you first purchase an Exchange Order at the following overseas branch offices, and then exchange it for a pass at a designated place in Japan (the Exchange Order cannot be purchased in Japan).
- Japan Airlines, JTB, Nihon Travel Agency, Kinki Japan Tourist, Toubu Top Tours, Jal PACK, All Nippon Airways.
- Please see here.
- The Hokkaido Rail Pass can be purchased in Japan, as well as abroad.
- Validity Period
- The Japan Rail Pass has three periods of validity: 7, 14 and 21 days.
- There are 4 types of the Hokkaido Rail Pass: 3, 4, 5 and 7-day passes.
|Where to Buy
|Japan Rail Pass
||Unlimited rides in Japan
|Cannot be purchased in Japan
(To be exchanged at designated places in Japan)
|Available throughout the year
|Hokkaido Rail Pass
||Unlimited rides in Hokkaido(does not include Hokkaido Shinkansen)
Flexible 4-day pass
|Can be purchased in Japan, as well as abroad.
||Available throughout the year
I missed the train I had reserved a seat on. What should I do?
Please board the unreserved seating on the next train.
Will I be compensated for other transportation fees if I miss the next transportation due to the trains being late or suspended?
We are sorry, we do not compensate for other transportation. We do not re-reimburse or compensate meal fees, other transportation fares, or lodging expenses that incur due to late or suspended trains. As for the JRP, we do not refund or extend the use period after the pass has been validated.