Hokkaido Rail Pass
How to use it
How to reserve seats
Please make sure to receive reserved seat tickets before boarding if you plan to use reserved seats. (Seats cannot be reserved on a train.)
Online reservation (JR-EAST Train Reservation)
Seat reservations can be made by using JR-EAST Train Reservation.
*Tickets reserved online should be collected before 9:00 p.m. of the day before you ride the train at a designated station or JR Travel Service Center during office hours.
*As JR-EAST Train Reservation cannot be used if you plan to collect your tickets on the same day as you ride a train, please receive the reserved seat tickets by showing your Hokkaido Rail Pass at JR Ticket Counter (Midori-no-madoguchi).
*Seats for sightseeing trains and temporary trains cannot be reserved.
Please see the detailed information before making a reservation.
Apply at a station
Please apply for reserved seat tickets at the JR ticket counter (Midori-no-madoguchi) or JR Travel Service Center (Twinkle Plaza) in the major JR Hokkaido stations.
You can get a reserved seat ticket for free of charge by telling a boarding date, name of the train and the section you take a train .
Using non-reserved seat
Non-reserved seats can be used only with your Hokkaido Rail Pass.
*When tickets are inspected aboard the train, be sure to present both your rail pass and reserved seat ticket to the conductor.
*Please understand that if the reserved seats are full, you will have to ride in the non-reserved seat. In such case, the difference between the reserved and non-reserved seat will not be refunded.
*If you decide to change your seat or train after the reserved seat ticket has been issued, please go to the ticket counter before the departure time. Please return unused reserved seat tickets to the ticket counter.
How to take a train
Please go through a manned ticket gate.
Automatic ticket gate cannot be used for the Hokkaido Rail Pass. Please go through a manned ticket gate and show the validity period to a station staff.
You will get a date stamp from a station staff on the start day of use for 3-day, 5-day, and 7-day passes, or on each day of use for flexible 4-day pass.
If you use a reserved seat, please show your Hokkaido Rail Pass and the reserved seat ticket. If you use a non-reserved seat, please show only your Hokkaido Rail Pass.
- The HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS can only be used by persons whose name is on the pass. The pass cannot be given or sold to others. If fraudulent use of the ticket is evident, the rail pass will be confiscated and you will be required to pay all regular fares and prices designated by the company.
- Be sure to carry your passport for the duration of your travel. If the staff asks for your passport when you show your rail pass, please be sure to show them your passport.
- This pass will not be re-issued if it is lost (including cases in which it is stolen.)
- This pass cannot be changed to a different type of pass or ticket. The start date of the period of validity cannot be changed.
- Other conditions are in compliance with the Hokkaido Railway Co. Rules and Japanese laws. For rules concerning the exchange vouchers they will depend on the rules and regulations of the travel agency at which you purchased the voucher.
- Please be sure and take a numbered ticket when you board JR Hokkaido buses. When you get off the bus, please show your HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS to the bus driver.
- Available JR buses (The details are listed below.)
Refunds for the HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS
- If you didn’t use the purchased Exchange Order, please get a refund at the travel agent where you purchased the Exchange Order within one year from the date of issue. The handling fee is based on the regulations of each travel agent.
- Refunds can be made only before the starting date of the validity period for 3-day, 5-day and 7 day passes, or only before use within the validity period for flexible 4-day pass at the designated purchase/exchange counter for the “Hokkaido Rail Pass”. (If purchased by credit card, refunds can be made only at the designated counters at the railway company (JR Hokkaido or JR East) you purchased the pass.) In this case, 10% of the sales price (Japanese yen) will be charged as a handling fee and the balance will be refunded.
- It is not possible to extend the validity period of the pass or receive a refund after the starting date for any reasons including the cancellation and delay of the trains. Also, we do not take any responsibility for additional costs for transportation and accommodation due to the itinerary changes.
Recommended JR Bus Routes for Hokkaido Rail Pass Holders
|Places to visit||Where to take a bus||Access from bus terminal (【 】 indicates bus route number/name)|
|Shiroi Koibito Park||Sapporo Station Bus Terminal||【55, 57, 61】etc. Get on at "Sapporo Station" → Get off at "Nishimachi Kita 20-chome"|
|Sapporo Factory||Sapporo Station Bus Terminal||【1】etc. Get on at "Sapporo Station" → Get off at "Sapporo Factory"|
|Hokkaido Shrine||Maruyama Koen Subway Station Bus Terminal||After arriving at Maruyama Koen Subway Sta. 【円14, 円15】 Get on at "Maruyama Koen Eki Mae" → Get off at "Jingu Mae"|
|Maruyama Zoo||Maruyama Koen Subway Station Bus Terminal||After arriving at Maruyama Koen Subway Sta. 【円15】 Get on at "Maruyama Koen Eki Mae" → Get off at "Dobutsuen Mae"|
|Okurayama Viewing Point||Maruyama Koen Subway Station Bus Terminal||After arriving at Maruyama Koen Subway Sta. 【円14】 Get on at "Maruyama Koen Eki Mae" → Get off at "Okurayama Kyogijo Iriguchi"|
|Sapporo Teine Ski Resort
(Only winter time)
|JR Teine Station South Exit Bus Stop||【Teineyama Line】Get on at "Teine Sta. South Exit" → Get off at "Teine Olympia Mae" or "Teine Highland"|
- You can take JR Hokkaido Bus running in Sapporo with your Hokkaido Rail Pass.
- The following bus routes are NOT included. Sapporo to Asahikawa, Monbetsu, Hiroo, Obihiro, Erimo, Shin Sapporo-Atsubetsu Stadium, JR Shiroishi Sta.-Sapporo Dome and temporary buses
- You can take an express bus between Sapporo and Otaru. (Limited to JR Hokkaido Bus. Chuo Bus is not available.)
- Please check bus timetable on JR Hokkaido Bus website.
- Bus routes are subject to change. Please check the latest information on JR Hokkaido Bus website.