Hokkaido Rail Pass
How to use it
How to reserve seats
Reserved seat tickets cannot be issued on the train. Please reserve seats before boarding.
It is possible for you to reserve seats in advance using JR-EAST Train Reservation.（*Bookings cannot be made for sightseeing trains or special trains.）
Please see here for details.
Even if you made a reservation online, you need to collect your Reserved seat ticket before 9:00pm of the day before departure at the designated station.
Present your Hokkaido Rail Pass at the station ticket counter and state the date, train name and zone you wish to use and a reserved seat ticket will be issued at no extra charge.
Non-reserved seats can be used only with your Hokkaido Rail Pass.
*When tickets are inspected aboard the train, be sure to present both your rail pass and reserved seat ticket to the conductor.
* Please understand that if the reserved seats are full, you will have to ride in the non-reserved seat. In such case, the difference between the reserved and non-reserved seat will not be refunded.
*If you decide to change your seat or train after the reserved seat ticket has been issued, please go to the ticket counter before the departure time. Please return unused reserved seat tickets to the ticket counter.
*If you miss the train with your reserved seat ticket, please take the next train and use the non-reserved seating.
How to board the trains
- Please show your HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS and Reserved Seating ticket to the staff at the ticket gate. If you are boarding the Non-reserved seating area, just show your HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS.
The HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS cannot be put through the automatic ticket gate. Please enter through the gate where the station staff is present.
- The HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS can only be used by persons whose name is on the pass. The pass cannot be given or sold to others. If fraudulent use of the ticket is evident, the rail pass will be confiscated and you will be required to pay all regular fares and prices designated by the company.
- Be sure to carry your passport for the duration of your travel. If the staff asks for your passport when you show your rail pass, please be sure to show them your passport.
- This pass will not be re-issued if it is lost (including cases in which it is stolen.)
- This pass cannot be changed to a different type of pass or ticket. The start date of the period of validity cannot be changed.
- Other conditions are in compliance with the Hokkaido Railway Co. Rules and Japanese laws. For rules concerning the exchange vouchers they will depend on the rules and regulations of the travel agency at which you purchased the voucher.
- Please be sure and take a numbered ticket when you board JR Hokkaido buses. When you get off the bus, please show your HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS to the bus driver.
- Available JR buses (The details are listed below.)
Refunds for the HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS
- The exchange voucher can be refunded within 1 year from issuance date if it has not been used. Please receive the refund at the travel agency in which you purchased the voucher. The handling fee will be set according to the standards of each agency.
- This pass is only refundable before the start date of its validity period. Refunds can only be requested from locations that issue and redeem the HOKKAIDO RAIL PASS. The cancellation fee is 10% of the sale price of this pass (in Japanese yen). The remainder will be returned.
- It is not possible to extend the validity period of this pass or receive a refund after the start date for any reason, including cancellations and delays of trains. It is also not possible to receive compensation for costs such as transport or accommodation costs arising as a result of an itinerary change.
Recommended JR Bus Routes for Hokkaido Rail Pass Holders
|Places to visit||Where to take a bus||Access from bus terminal (【 】 indicates bus route number/name)|
|Shiroi Koibito Park||Sapporo Station Bus Terminal||【55, 57, 61】etc. Get on at "Sapporo Station" → Get off at "Nishimachi Kita 20-chome"|
|Sapporo Factory||Sapporo Station Bus Terminal||【1】etc. Get on at "Sapporo Station" → Get off at "Sapporo Factory"|
|Hokkaido Shrine||Maruyama Koen Subway Station Bus Terminal||After arriving at Maruyama Koen Subway Sta. 【円14, 円15】 Get on at "Maruyama Koen Eki Mae" → Get off at "Jingu Mae"|
|Maruyama Zoo||Maruyama Koen Subway Station Bus Terminal||After arriving at Maruyama Koen Subway Sta. 【円15】 Get on at "Maruyama Koen Eki Mae" → Get off at "Dobutsuen Mae"|
|Okurayama Viewing Point||Maruyama Koen Subway Station Bus Terminal||After arriving at Maruyama Koen Subway Sta. 【円14】 Get on at "Maruyama Koen Eki Mae" → Get off at "Okurayama Kyogijo Iriguchi"|
|Sapporo Teine Ski Resort
(Only winter time)
|JR Teine Station South Exit Bus Stop||【Teineyama Line】Get on at "Teine Sta. South Exit" → Get off at "Teine Olympia Mae" or "Teine Highland"|
- You can take JR Hokkaido Bus running in Sapporo with your Hokkaido Rail Pass.
- The following bus routes are NOT included. Sapporo to Asahikawa, Monbetsu, Hiroo, Obihiro, Erimo, Shin Sapporo-Atsubetsu Stadium, JR Shiroishi Sta.-Sapporo Dome, Shin Sapporo-Sapporo Dome and temporary buses
- You can take an express bus between Sapporo and Otaru. (Limited to JR Hokkaido Bus. Chuo Bus is not available.)
- There will be an additional charge for Twinkle Bus. (Reservation required)
- Please check bus timetable on JR Hokkaido Bus website.
- Bus routes are subject to change. Please check the latest information on JR Hokkaido Bus website.