Beautiful scenery and delicious food can be found throughout Hokkaido. The most convenient way to see all Hokkaido has to offer is by train. This guide will provide first time JR Hokkaido users with a wealth of useful information.
1. What kind of ticket do I need to board a train?
- A basic fare ticket is required for boarding.
- In order to board a Limited Express, a limited express ticket is required in addition to a basic fare ticket.
- For reserved seats, a reserved seat ticket is required in addition to a basic fare ticket and limited express ticket.
|Train Types in Hokkaido||Local||Rapid||Limited Express||Shinkansen|
|Stops||Stops at every station. Some trains do not stop at some stations.||Does not stop at some stations.||Stops only at major stations.||Stops only at Shinkansen Stations.|
|Car & Seat Type||All cars are Non-reserved||Non-reserved Seat||Reserved Seat||Non-reserved Seat||Reserved Seat||Some trains have Green Car connected.||Ordinary Car||First-class car (Green Car)||Gran Class|
Car Formation (Example)
Long Distance (Sapporo - Kushiro, etc.) Limited Express Train
Short Distance (Sapporo - Asahikawa, etc.) Limited Express Train
Local/Rapid Train (Some trains have reserved seats)
Car Types of Limited Express Train
There are two types of car: Ordinary and Green.
The difference between Ordinary and Green cars is…
Green cars have wider seats for a more comfortable and relaxing trip.
- Reserved Seat
- Because the date, train, departure time, arrival time, and seat number are determined, a seat is guaranteed.
- Non-reserved Seat
- You may sit in any vacant seat of a Non-reserved car (on the date of your choosing). Because a seat cannot be reserved, you may be unable to sit if the train is crowded.
|Adult||Ages 12 and older|
|Child||Ages 6 through 11|
|Infant||Ages 1 through 5|
|Baby||Less than 1 year old|
Fares & Charges for Children
Children's basic fare, limited express, express, and reserved seat tickets are 50% of the adult price (fractions under ￥10 are rounded down). Green car, sleeper car, and numbered tickets are the same as the adult price.
Fares & Charges for Infants/Babies
Though infants and babies travel for free, a child ticket is required in the following cases.
➊When three or more infants accompany one adult or a child (tickets are required for the third and any additional infants).
➋When an infant or baby occupies his or her own reserved seat, Green Car seat, or berth.
➌When an infant travels alone.
➍When infants travel as a group.